Ion3 removal (Re: Ion3 license violation)

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Thu Dec 13 06:01:01 PST 2007

> On 2007-12-13, Mark Linimon <linimon at lonesome.com> wrote:
> > On Thu, Dec 13, 2007 at 08:30:06AM +0000, Tuomo Valkonen wrote:
> >> The copyright holder reserves the right to refine the definition of
> >> significant changes on a per-case basis.
> >
> > In other words, a moving target -- which implies, to me, that to be
> > legally in the clear, that we would first have to vet every possible
> > change or modification, including patches.
>
> Notice the "a priori": it means you're allowed to do that without legal
> threat until further notice to the contrary.

Did you not understand the part where Mark described the requirement to
avoid possible legal trouble?  Since you felt the need to snip out the
part of Mark's post that was truly relevant to your reply, I'll
reproduce it here:

"But in
the case of implied threat of legal action, in my opinion, it's not worth
anyone's time to try to iterate over every possibility to find out to make
sure they -- and others, on their behalf -- aren't somehow liable.  The
risk is simply too high."

Stop abusing this mailing list for your own purposes.  Let's state some
facts:

*) FreeBSD has agreed to remove the offending port in order to comply
   with your license requirements.  However, you continue to complain.

*) _Anyone_ could submit a patch to the port to abide by your license
   requirements and it's likely that it will be committed, yet
   _nobody_ has.  Even you, Tuomo, claim to have bold and revolutionary
   ideas on package distribution yet would rather argue than WRITE A
   PATCH AND SUBMIT IT!  Beyond that, you've _IGNORED_ posts that I've
   made in the past suggesting this.

*) You blame "distro folks" as abusing developers and expecting them
   to just provide free work, then you turn around an complain that
   the FreeBSD people should bend over backwards to accommodate the
   software you wrote.  You're doing the _exact_ thing you accuse
   others of doing.

*) You continually abuse this mailing list by twisting other persons
   posts to your agenda by snipping relevant information, replying
   only to the parts that you want to, and redirecting the meaning of
   other posts.

Please go somewhere that you can find emotional healing Tuomo.  I, for
one, will be glad to see you return as a sane person but have no desire
to watch this thread continue as long as you're sick.

--
Bill Moran
http://www.potentialtech.com