Ion3 removal (Re: Ion3 license violation)

Danny Pansters danny at ricin.com
Wed Dec 12 18:15:58 PST 2007

On Wednesday 12 December 2007 23:01:57 Mikhail Teterin wrote:
> > The simple fact is that Tuomo has some strange desire to blame packagers
> > for all his problems with software and users.
>
> Yes, license-crafting lawyers are usually more polite and don't engage in
> direct communications with forums such as ours. Their licenses suck much
> more, however -- think Java, cdrtools, or Skype, and all the other
> closed-source packages. Put Tuomo's demands in perspective, for crying out
> loud...
>
> > It's impossible for the FreeBSD ports system to guarantee compliance with
> > his arbitrarily chosen "28 days" rule.  If he's going to demand that his
> > terms be followed, then it has to come out of the ports.
>
> Actually, it can be done -- when building the port, the date on the
> distfile (or that on the most recent source-file /extracted/ therefrom) can
> be checked against the current date and a prominent message can be issued
> warning of possible obsoleteness (sp?)...
>
> I just wish we avoided the rash decisions like "let's remove everything
> written by the guy we don't like NOW" -- if only in the name of "ports
> slush"... In the hurry to spite the admittedly unpleasant-sounding author,
> the needs and expectations of the users were neglected.

Google a bit:

ArchLinux (well, it was in the user-submitted "ports tree" that they have),
Gentoo, Debian/ubuntu, NetBSD, OpenBSD. The latter had a pre license-change
version and it was decided to stick with that. The others dumped it.

The guy was never trying to find any compromise. He wants to go close sourced
or something and "move to windows xp in a few years", on which apparently
there's a need for his software.

Also, it's worth noting that there seems to be no trademark at all, the author
is under the impression that a trademark doesn't have to be applied for (of
course that goes for copyright, not trademarks). This is from early in the ML
thread over at Archlinux, dated april 2007.

The guy's got a huge grudge or something, maybe even a serious mental problem
(that is not meant as hyperbole -- look through some of the above "distros"
ML archives).

You can't do OSS and be a control freak at the same time. It just doesn't work
like that. mlc has handled this exactly how he should have. With a swagger!

I promise not to reply to this thread any more :)

Dan