Ion3 removal (Re: Ion3 license violation)

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Wed Dec 12 16:56:15 PST 2007

Mikhail Teterin <mi+mill at aldan.algebra.com> wrote:

> середа 12 грудень 2007 06:35 по, Bill Moran Ви написали:
> > It's his software.  If his requirements can't be met, then the port comes
> > out of the tree.  What else do you expect to happen?
>
> I expect the port-removal to be initiated/done in an orderly fashion. This
> includes marking it FORBIDDEN (or IGNORE, or BROKEN):
>
>  FORBIDDEN= Violates licensing requirements of the author
>
> and:
>
>  EXPIRATION_DATE=<<Some date a few months from now>>
>
> This would give those people, whom you expect to submit patches, some time to,
> actually, create them... Only if nothing materializes by the expiration date,
> should the port be deleted.

It's absolutely a shame that couldn't be done, but he demanded that the
port be fixed prior to release.  Without a fix to hand, the only way to
guarantee that FreeBSD wouldn't be in violation of the license agreement
was to pull the port.

Generate a patch and submit it.  I'm sure the port will be reinstated as
soon as somebody does so.

--
Bill Moran
http://www.potentialtech.com