Ion3 removal (Re: Ion3 license violation)

Mikhail Teterin mi+mill at aldan.algebra.com
Wed Dec 12 14:28:41 PST 2007

> The simple fact is that Tuomo has some strange desire to blame packagers
> for all his problems with software and users.

Yes, license-crafting lawyers are usually more polite and don't engage in
direct communications with forums such as ours. Their licenses suck much
more, however -- think Java, cdrtools, or Skype, and all the other
closed-source packages. Put Tuomo's demands in perspective, for crying out
loud...

> It's impossible for the FreeBSD ports system to guarantee compliance with
> his arbitrarily chosen "28 days" rule.  If he's going to demand that his
> terms be followed, then it has to come out of the ports.

Actually, it can be done -- when building the port, the date on the distfile
(or that on the most recent source-file /extracted/ therefrom) can be checked
against the current date and a prominent message can be issued warning of
possible obsoleteness (sp?)...

I just wish we avoided the rash decisions like "let's remove everything
written by the guy we don't like NOW" -- if only in the name of "ports
slush"... In the hurry to spite the admittedly unpleasant-sounding author,
the needs and expectations of the users were neglected.

I've never used ion, but, judging from some responses here, it is an
appreciated piece of software.

 -mi