Ion3 license violation

Tuomo Valkonen tuomov at iki.fi
Wed Dec 12 11:48:03 PST 2007

On 2007-12-12, Russell Jackson <raj at csub.edu> wrote:
> Damn it. I use this software, and I even feel somewhat responsible

Don't worry, you're not responsible (much). I'd been monitoring the
situation having heard of a ports freeze, and nothing having been
done to mark the Ion package as (potentially) obsolete or anything.
Not much asked, but it seems distros don't like to admit that they
distribute obsolete and buggy software.

> I wasn't running the version in ports CVS. I was running a modified local
> port that did pull the latest ion sources. I also had to explicitly enable
> mod_xinerama with a make define; so, it isn't part of the the binary
> package or a default port install.

The option doesn't seem Ion-specific and isn't documented to add
unsupported features. A much better place for the module would in
any case be, say, x11-wm/ion-3-extras/mod_shit-o-rama. You could
also have mod_xrandr, mod_ionflux, and etc. under that kind of
setup. There's no reason why the module should deceivingly (and
inconveniently) be distributed hidden "within" the ion-3 package.

> I really don't see why the extreme action of removing it from ports was
> necessary. :sigh:

Distro folks are not reasonable; they think authors should be their
undemanding and unquestioning slaves. I think we have learned that
already.

--
Tuomo