Ion3 license violation

Mark Linimon linimon at lonesome.com
Tue Dec 11 23:39:45 PST 2007

On Wed, Dec 12, 2007 at 07:22:50AM +0000, Tuomo Valkonen wrote:
> The version of Ion3 in FreeBSD ports at [1,2] is obsolete (3rc-20070927
> is provided, but 3rc-20071109 is more than 28 days old), and must per
> the license be upgraded, removed, or prominently marked as obsolete.

I have marked it as DEPRECATED.

Note: we've had a ports freeze and updates were not accepted during this time.
The maintainer's activity or inactivity is thus not germane.

I followed the discussion of your license on the pkgsrc mailing list, fwiw,
and do not intend to rehash them here.

To our users: if you are interested in seeing this software remain in the
FreeBSD Ports Collection, please email me off-list.  I have concerns about
our ability to keep Mr. Valkonen happy with the way we distribute his code.
pkgsrc has already made the decision that they are not able to do so, and
have thus deleted it.  Other BSDs and distributions may have done so as well.

mcl