DEPENDS -- is it time to remove it?

Scot Hetzel swhetzel at gmail.com
Tue Dec 11 05:35:25 PST 2007

On 12/11/07, Paul Schenkeveld <fb-ports at psconsult.nl> wrote:
> So now I have a need for a metaport to depend on another metaport.
> Without DEPENDS, how do I accomplish that.  Using RUN_DEPENDS with
> ${NONEXISTENT} seems not appropriate here, the Porters Handbook says
> that this should only be used to pull in source, not to install another
> metaport (unless it is already installed) and the effect of using
> something like RUN_DEPENDS=${NONEXISTENT}:${PORTSDIR}/lang/php5-extensions
> causes make install to try installing php5-extensions even when this port
> is already installed.
>
> The two metaport I need to depend on are php5-extensions and
> xorg-drivers and I really don't want to copy the OPTIONS processing of
> these ports and maintain that in the future.

For xorg-drivers you simply use:

RUN_DEPENDS= ${LOCALBASE}/libdata/xorg/drivers:${PORTSDIR}/x11-drivers/xorg-drivers

to get this to work for php5-extensions, you would need to patch the
Makefile with:

PLIST_FILES= libdata/php5/extensions
PLIST_DIR= libdata/php5

do-install:
                ${MKDIR} ${PREFIX}/libdata/php5
                ${TOUCH} ${PREFIX}/libdata/php5/extensions

Then you could use:

RUN_DEPENDS= ${LOCALBASE}/libdata/php5/extensions:${PORTSDIR}/lang/php5-extensions

Scot