(Very) bogus package dependencies

Andriy Gapon avg at icyb.net.ua
Mon Dec 10 06:33:23 PST 2007

on 10/12/2007 03:35 Marcin Cieslak said the following:
> Alex Goncharov wrote:
>> There has been a point recently made on a `freebsd-' list about
>> unnecessary dependencies of the `xorg-server' package, it being
>> dependent on `gnome' and `hal', for example. That's a valid point and
>> I am with those who don't want this dependency to exist -- but at
>> least this dependency can be somehow justified.
>>
>> But I cannot find any justification for this:
>
> HAL and D-Bus are needed to support input device hotplug - new feature
> of X.org 7.3.
>
> http://wiki.x.org/wiki/XInputHotplug
>
> http://freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/hal
>
> cdr-tools may be needed (just my guess) to implement storage interface
> for various CD media:
>
> http://webcvs.freedesktop.org/hal/hal/doc/spec/hal-spec.html?view=co&pathrev=HEAD#device-properties-storage-cdrom

>From a small research it seems that the only thing needed from cdrtools
is isoinfo utility which gets called in FreeBSD-specific code
(hald/freebsd/probing/probe-volume.c) like follows:
isoinfo -p -i %s
And it seems that its only usage is to detect presence of directories
named 'VIDEO_TS|VCD|SVCD', so that properties like
volume.disc.is_videodvd could be set.

Maybe there is a way to write code for this functionality that could be
included into hal source code or as a port patch, so that hal doesn't
have to depend on cdrtools.

--
Andriy Gapon