(Very) bogus package dependencies

Erik Trulsson ertr1013 at student.uu.se
Thu Dec 6 16:13:19 PST 2007

On Thu, Dec 06, 2007 at 06:22:58PM -0500, Alex Goncharov wrote:
> There has been a point recently made on a `freebsd-' list about
> unnecessary dependencies of the `xorg-server' package, it being
> dependent on `gnome' and `hal', for example. That's a valid point and
> I am with those who don't want this dependency to exist -- but at
> least this dependency can be somehow justified.
>
> But I cannot find any justification for this:
>
> --------------------
> $ pkg_info -R cdrtools*
> Information for cdrtools-2.01_6:
>
> Required by:
> hal-0.5.8.20070909
> xf86-input-keyboard-1.2.2_1
> xf86-input-mouse-1.2.3
> xf86-video-i810-1.6.5_3
> xf86-video-radeonhd-1.0.0
> xorg-server-1.4_3,1
> --------------------
>
> `xf86-video-radeonhd-1.0.0' requires `cdrtools'?...
>
> How can this happen? Am I missing something?

It looks like an ordinary indirect dependency.
The drivers as well as the xorg-server all require 'hal'.
'hal' depends on 'cdrtools'.  (It may be that the drivers only depend
on xorg-server, which does depend on hal.)

As for why 'hal' requires 'cdrtools' I have no idea, but there is probably
some reason for it.

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson