How to get portinstall to 'shut up' so I can run it in background

Russell Jackson raj at csub.edu
Tue Dec 4 23:51:00 PST 2007

Doug Barton wrote:
> Ben Kelly wrote:
>
>> Maybe I am doing something wrong, but I have never been able to get
>> nohup to work correctly with portupgrade for this sort of this.  For
>> example:
>>
>> ianto# nohup portupgrade -a >& /tmp/port.log &
>
> You just want to do 'nohup portupgrade -a &'
> output will be captured in nohup.out.

Ben is right. When you run portupgrade with nohup and background the
process -- either with '&' or by ctrl-z followed with a bg -- it gets
suspended until the job is brought back to the foreground.

Portupgrade acts very strangely when it's not attached to a tty.

--
Russell A. Jackson <raj at csub.edu>
Network Analyst

He asked me if I knew what time it was -- I said yes, but not right now.
		-- S. Wright