How to get portinstall to 'shut up' so I can run it in background

Doug Barton dougb at FreeBSD.org
Tue Dec 4 18:06:38 PST 2007

On Mon, 3 Dec 2007, Wes Morgan wrote:

> On Tue, 4 Dec 2007, Stefan Sperling wrote:
>
>> Screen also has log functionality.
>> Toggle with: Ctrl+A, then Shift+H
>
> You can also use "script" to capture the output fairly easily.

So you have to use two different programs, one of which is a port, to
accomplish what nohup will do by itself. :) My point being that a lot of
people seem to think that screen(1) is the answer, no matter what the
question, when often simpler answers exist.

If you're one of those people, that's fine, I learned a long time ago I'm
not going to change your mind. But I do think it's useful to note that
there are other valid solutions, even if simply for completeness sake.

Doug