HELP needed by experienced porter for simple review

GP godpost at gmail.com
Tue Dec 4 04:36:21 PST 2007

>>> I don't really like to create FILESDIR and move from WRKSRC to
>>> FILESDIR. The WRKDIR/WRKSRC are the place where you work anything
>>> inside. However, move from WRKSRC to FILESDIR might create problem in
>>> future so avoid that.
>>
>> When I leve it out I get this error:
>> ===>  Installing for kissdx-0.13.10a
>> ** Missing /usr/ports/distfiles/files/kissdx.in for kissdx-0.13.10a.
>> *** Error code 1

>Ummm... I went back to see your first orignal thread. I noticed that you
>put Makefile and others in /usr/ports/distfiles/? You should create
>'kissdx' and 'kissdx/files' (mkdir -p kissdx/files) directories. You
>should make your port looks like this:

OK its all moved to a handmade subdir. Probably nicer that way, but I still
have to make the files dir in the Makefile and put the script in it! or am I
missing something?
Maybe I don't understand the files dir!!? could it mean that the startup
script can not come from the tarball? (I've done some work for including
FreeBSD stuff into the original package. So that would be a capitulation to
Linux then wouldnt it?: all is writen for Linux and then adapted for FreeBSD
:o)

>You should follow this below:
>http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/porters-handbook/rc-scripts.html
>You put your 'kissdx.in' in kissdx/files/ and it will doing every thing
>for you as explained in rc-scripts.html.

I'm sorry to say that i doesn't explain this for me. Porters handbook still
requires a lot of implicit knowledge. (But I'm getting there by small
increments :O)

Thanks and BR

/Simon