[RFC/P] Port System Re-Engineering

Chuck Robey chuckr at chuckr.org
Mon Dec 3 17:57:32 PST 2007

Aryeh M. Friedman wrote:

> Chuck Robey wrote:
>> Paul Schmehl wrote:
>> Why the silly games?  I get the feeling that Aryeh is honestly not
>> understanding that he's trying to change the basic way that things
>> get done in FreeBSD.  He doesn't see that.  In industry, first a
>> decision is made that a market exists for such and such, then a
>> study is made as to what could be done realistically.  We don't
>> operate that way.
>
> If finding the market is all they do but they don't follow the whole
> process to produce code then they completely missed the point... the
> idea of "modern" (almost anything that post-dates v7 of unix) looks at
> how to do the whole process systematically... thats the idea here....
> doing a market survey then doing no code is as worse as making random
> tweaks for no apparent reason (i.e. you have no idea if they are needed)

Well, that last paragraph seems to be telling me that you do indeed want
to modify the procedure we produce code with.  OK then, I tried to
explain what parts are worth dicussing, and  what parts aren't, and
you've either decided I'm just plain wrong, or lying to you.  I'm not
insulted, I'm just bored by the endless arguments that have been there
about once or twice a year, and never ever gets even close to causing
change.  Seeing as you are going to "tilt at windmills", I now lose
interest.  This is an unrealistic target you've aimed at, but I'll
surely admit that you sound much more reasonable than the usual sort of
folks who try to take this on.  Too bad.