[RFC/P] Port System Re-Engineering

Paul Schmehl pauls at utdallas.edu
Mon Dec 3 14:43:40 PST 2007

--On Monday, December 03, 2007 17:15:10 -0500 "Aryeh M. Friedman"
<aryeh.friedman at gmail.com> wrote:

>> ===>  Cleaning for xdm-1.1.6_2
>>
>> What was I supposed to find?
>
> Did you actually run xdm or just assume because it compiled that it
> was installed the same way in all cases...

No, I didn't run xdm, because that wasn't the parameters of your test.  You
insisted it wouldn't install at all.  Now you've changed the rules.  In
order for me to run xdm, I'd have to edit /etc/ttys and then restart X so
that I'm using xdm instead of kdm.  I'm not too excited about doing that
given the fact that you'll most likely change the rules again, after it
works successfully.

> hint: the visual appearance
> varies signficiantly depending on what method you use.    XDM is no
> not unique in this either just off the top of my head I can name the
> following ports that demostrate different behaviour depending on what
> order the are installed:

First, I find it hard to believe anyone would even bother to test this.
You must have lots of time on your hands.  Second, I would imagine the
results would vary based on the system you have, the video card you're
using and the ports you have installed.  If it works, I think that's about
all you can expect from ports.  Ports only install and deinstall software.
They don't configure it, and they don't adjust for errors in the software.

> gnome-office
> abiword
> boost
> openoffice-2
> the entire set of jdk's
> perl (what is the difference between the 5.8.8 in the base system and
> the one in ports?!?!?!?)

What version are you running?  Perl hasn't been in the base for some time
now.  It's installed by default when you install FreeBSD, but it's a port.
The reasons for that are far too long to go into here.

> these are just the ones I have found after installing 2 mega metaports
> and the java stuff... god knows what is lurking out there
>>
>> Here's a hint that would help a *ton* of users.  Don't try to
>> install a port until your ports tree is up to date.  Completely up
>> to date - as is, run portsnap or cvs or cvsup *first*, *then* try
>> to install your port.
>
> I use the following "script" (i.e. by hand) installing a new port
> (might be overkill):
>
> cd /usr/ports/....
> cvsup /usr/share/examples/cvsup/ports-supfile (I actually use a local
> cvs repo but this is clearer)

You don't need to cd to /usr/ports to run cvsup if you're cvsupfile was
done correctly.

> portupgrade -a
> make uninstall distclean install
This will certainly get you in trouble.  Make uninstall in /usr/ports?
What made you think that was a wise thing to do?

> If that doesn't guerntee upto date ports nothing will

That will guarantee problems for sure.

--
Paul Schmehl (pauls at utdallas.edu)
Senior Information Security Analyst