[RFC/P] Port System Re-Engineering

Jeremy Messenger mezz7 at cox.net
Sun Dec 2 13:33:44 PST 2007

On Sun, 02 Dec 2007 13:37:22 -0600, David Southwell <david at vizion2000.net>
wrote:

> On Sunday 02 December 2007 06:41:12 Dan Langille wrote:
>> On Sun, 2 Dec 2007, Aryeh M. Friedman wrote:
>> > 3. What is the single best aspect of the current system?
>>
>> Good people doing the heavy lifting
>>
>> > 4. What is the single worst aspect of the current system?
>>
>> Too much talk from people not willing to do the heavy lifting.
>>
>> > 8. How long have you used FreeBSD and/or UNIX in general?
>>
>> Since 1998.
>
> Well in this case the people doing the talking are also committing
> themselves
> to the lifting so I guess you would say here that the advocates of
> change are
> on the side of the angels.
>
> I trust you are not dedicated to becoming a permanent member of the
> opposition!! If so I might be tempted to say the worst aspect of the
> current
> system is that there are too many people determined to deny the need for
> change irrespective of merit.

Sad, I second on Dan's answer for #4 question. It's not that we opposite
it. It's faith that we don't have. It's not first time for people to keep
talk with no action. It's called bikeshed.

The share/gnome/ -> share/ project was very successful, because I have
pushed it hard. I did 90 committed in MC CVS per day about two or three
times and did a lot of work on hundreds of port.

Whomever start to talk will have to be expect to do a lot of works to get
success. I suggest you to get start to setup a team, setup ports
development somewhere, and make sure you have changes available. Then we
will starting to have a faith on this project.

Cheers,
Mezz

> David

FreeBSD GNOME Team  -  FreeBSD Multimedia Hat (ports, not src)
http://wiki.freebsd.org/multimedia  -  multimedia at FreeBSD.org