duration of the ports freeze

Peter Jeremy peterjeremy at optushome.com.au
Sat Dec 1 14:15:38 PST 2007

On Sat, Dec 01, 2007 at 04:10:14PM -0500, Aryeh M. Friedman wrote:
>This is due to thinking of the port system as one would of as say
>make(1) namely a multistage transaction vs. one big atomic
>transaction.   Doing first makes each port responible for most it's
>knowledge and thus open to inconsistencies and the other makes so the
>port is nothing but a node in a graph with the edges holding most of
>the knowledge instead of the nodes.

You continue to complain that the current dependency system is broken
but you have yet to provide an alternative.

>If there was a universal way of handling stuff as recommended in
>Miller97 and most decent algorithm books.

You also regularly references to Aegis - again with no explanation as
to what problem Aegis would solve and how it would solve it.  I recall
hearing Peter Miller present his paper at AUUG'97 and I know I was
interested enough at the time to install and experiment with Aegis but
(for reasons I don't recall any longer), I have since reverted to make.

--
Peter Jeremy