duration of the ports freeze

Aryeh M. Friedman aryeh.friedman at gmail.com
Sat Dec 1 12:05:31 PST 2007

Stephen Montgomery-Smith wrote:

> On Sat, 1 Dec 2007, David Southwell wrote:
>
>> On Saturday 01 December 2007 10:28:40 Erik Trulsson wrote:
>>> Personally, as a user, I have never really been even slightly
>>> inconvienced by any of the ports tree freezes.
>>
>> All I can say is bully for you! The question is how do we get rid
>> of a p[roblem even if it is not a disadvantage for you
>> personally. It is disappointing when one hears arguments not to
>> change simply because one particular individual is not
>> disadvantaged by a currently illogical and antiquated solution to
>> a problem that will inevitably grow as the number of ports
>> increase.
>>
>> We need to grasp the nettle while we may!!
>
> I think that you and Aryeh are not getting that it is not just
> "bully for you."  There is a major effort required to change the
> way we do ports. Even if the current system has some imperfections,
> you have to persuade the FreeBSD community that the benfits of
> fixing things are greater than the costs.

I never knew I was advocating a specific solution or any change at
all.... my only goal is attempt to systematically look at the current
issues and see if a new archicture would be worth the time and effort

> My personal assessment is that now is NOT the time to grap the
> nettle. Over time the ports system will acquire more and more
> problems, until perhaps in ten or twenty years time it will be
> unusable.  Then it will be time to fix it, when we have a clearer
> picture of what all the problems really are.  Or maybe by then
> things will have happened that make this whole issue moot.  I just
> don't think it is worth the effort to fix this problem now,
> especially when the benefits will only be to a few power users.

Without some short of historical failure/incorrect results data it is
impossible to know who is right and who is wrong.   But the inability
to install mega metaports in pieces is pretty good evidence of a
problem for me.

> Look, its good that you feel the freedom to complain, and advocate
> for change.  But don't get upset when others say they like the
> status quo.  They need to have freedom to say their piece too.

Without a serious look at the pros and cons of any possible change it
is impossible to know who is right and who is wrong on this issue.  So
I think some kind of monitoring of system issues may shed light
regardless of the implications of the light.

- --
Aryeh M. Friedman
FloSoft Systems
Developer, not business, friendly