duration of the ports freeze

David Southwell david at vizion2000.net
Sat Dec 1 09:16:43 PST 2007

On Saturday 01 December 2007 08:58:17 Stephen Montgomery-Smith wrote:
> On Sat, 1 Dec 2007, Aryeh M. Friedman wrote:
> >
> > Stephen Montgomery-Smith wrote:

> >> I feel that your deflection of the points I made was a little
> >> unfair. My question is - why exactly is there a frustration?  Is it
> >>  because the FreeBSD community have somehow set expectations to be
> >> "totally up to date" a little too high?  Are we simply expecting
> >> more from FreeBSD than we get from Linux distributions or MS,
> >> simply because the average user has tremendous knowledge and
> >> insight into the internal development process?
> >>
> >> Remember, I'm just an average user, just like you.  I have no
> >> special axe to grind in defending FreeBSD.
> >
> > Even though this is best answered in a more systematic way (an
> > "official" review of the entire problem set) here are my reasons for
> > being frustrated:
> >
> > 1. There as has been some work that I am aware on ports I use that has
> > not bean released during the freeze for various reasons (such as miro
> > and qemu patchs [enable the use of physical drives and run vista
> > without crashing]).   None of them are pressing enough for me to
> > bypass the ports system because everytime you do so you complicate
> > upgrading (have fun keeping track of what you installed from ports and
> > what came from vendor tar's)
> >
> > 2. As a developer I have 3 ports I would like to release ;-)
>
> But this agrees with my original assertion - that the frustration is from
> the port maintainers and originators, rather than the port users.
>

> What solution would you propose.  The only one I can think of is
> that we have a ports-stable and a ports-current.  But I can see many
> people not liking this idea.
I suggest you re-read my original.

IMHO there are multiple choices beyond the notion of ports-stable and ports
current. The idea I proposed is that ports have release dependencies and as
new releases are being prepared maintainers change the dependencies when the
port has been tested and ready for the new release. In other words the
process becomes one of independent migration of capability over time rather
than a mad rush within a freeze.

The problem is trying to get everything done at once. The current solution is
designed around the needs of developers rather than the needs of users!!

IMHO we need to switch priorities. It does not matter if it takes 3 months to
have the ports migrated for the new release. It does matter to not have
upgrades when you work in communities with multiple operating systems. It
matters when you cannot test projects using the same version of software that
someone else is using. The current OS capability is less significant to end
users than port capabilities.

David Southwell