duration of the ports freeze

Stephen Montgomery-Smith stephen at math.missouri.edu
Sat Dec 1 08:58:18 PST 2007

On Sat, 1 Dec 2007, Aryeh M. Friedman wrote:

> Stephen Montgomery-Smith wrote:

>>> I am not suggesting we do a major overhaul before ports are
>>> unfrozen... what I am suggesting is there is always room for
>>> improvement and the frustrations voiced should be looked as an
>>> opportunity to improve it instead of us (the complainers) crying
>>> in our milk.
>>
>> I feel that your deflection of the points I made was a little
>> unfair. My question is - why exactly is there a frustration?  Is it
>>  because the FreeBSD community have somehow set expectations to be
>> "totally up to date" a little too high?  Are we simply expecting
>> more from FreeBSD than we get from Linux distributions or MS,
>> simply because the average user has tremendous knowledge and
>> insight into the internal development process?
>>
>> Remember, I'm just an average user, just like you.  I have no
>> special axe to grind in defending FreeBSD.
>>

> Even though this is best answered in a more systematic way (an
> "official" review of the entire problem set) here are my reasons for
> being frustrated:
>
> 1. There as has been some work that I am aware on ports I use that has
> not bean released during the freeze for various reasons (such as miro
> and qemu patchs [enable the use of physical drives and run vista
> without crashing]).   None of them are pressing enough for me to
> bypass the ports system because everytime you do so you complicate
> upgrading (have fun keeping track of what you installed from ports and
> what came from vendor tar's)
>
> 2. As a developer I have 3 ports I would like to release ;-)

But this agrees with my original assertion - that the frustration is from
the port maintainers and originators, rather than the port users.

What solution would you propose.  The only one I can think of is
that we have a ports-stable and a ports-current.  But I can see many
people not liking this idea.