[Boinc_opt] setiathome-enhanced 5.27 : configure step unreliable?

Eric J Korpela korpela at ssl.berkeley.edu
Thu Aug 30 14:56:32 PDT 2007

Hi Rene,

Just getting back from vacation, so am just seeing this now.

The major issue seems to be with the vectorized stuff.  If you look at
the file client/Makefile.am, you will see some specific compile
options for different files.  For example, analyzeFuncs_sse.cpp needs
to be compiled with the GCC -msse flag which defines certain macros to
allow SSE to be used.  If -msse is not used, the build fails in the
manner you've shown.

I suspect when you removed the cpu specific compiler (-m) options you
broke the build.
SETI at home checks which processor the application is running on and
avoids incompatible code.   In other words the application is generic
even though it contains processor specific code.  But in order to
compile, the processor specific code needs the appropriate processor
specific compiler flags.

Eric