Status and structure of TeXLive port (again)

Nikola Lecic nlecic at EUnet.yu
Tue Aug 28 08:06:51 PDT 2007

Hello,

[Included Giorgos because I saw the newest mails on TexLive mailing
list.]

My assumptions are based upon following mails:

In May, user Parv asked about TL, and the answer was:

  http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-ports/2007-May/040511.html

i.e. that current teTeX port maintainer, hrs@, is working on it. In
Jule, Edd Barrett informed this list that OpenBSD port is available:

  http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-ports/2007-July/042725.html

(please read the entire thread, contains some questions, just to
avoid repeating.)

Please, can someone provide some information on this subject? In my
humble opinion FreeBSD's TeXLive port should be much more
fine-grained / modularised than OpenBSD's. There are >230 binaries in
TL and tens of big projects included; all of them have independent
developments whilst TL makes new release once a year.

Again, I'm offering help, especially in the XeTeX-related stuff and in
modularising that part of TL.

It would be useful to have a public discussion here about the details.

Nikola Lečić