Moving to a more recent linux base, when?

Thu Aug 23 05:50:24 PDT 2007

Quoting Thomas Zander <thomas.e.zander at googlemail.com> (from Thu, 23
Aug 2007 14:46:39 +0800):

> Hi,
>
> recently I had a look at the upcoming version of the PCB layout tool
> eagle, in beta test at the moment. I am currently maintaining both the
> international (cad/linux-eagle) and german ports of this tool.
> This new beta version however refuses to run as it depends on
> glibc-2.4 while our linux_base-fc4 ships glibc 2.3.6.
> Do we have a roadmap or an estimated timeframe as to when a more
> recent linux_base and their extra packages (linux-xorg and such)
> becomes standard for the ports tree?

If you find a glibc-2.4 for FC4 we can import it somehow. If you
don't, we need to wait for the possibility to go to FC^ or newer. But
as from FC5 on, we need 2.6.x emulation for the linuxulator. This will
only be available in 7.x with x >= 1 (there's some support now, but it
is not finished), and only if activated by the user. So by default we
can not install FC6+ on 7.x (I doubt we will change the linuxulator
default to 2.6.x in the 7.x-timeframe).

As we don't have good enough support for 2.6.x in 7-current, I didn't
even thought about how to tackle the ports collection part. Remember,
we have to support even 6.x for a while. Introducing the FC6+ ports is
easy, but how to do it in a good way which works on all supported
releases...

Bye,
Alexander.

--
I love Mickey Mouse more than any woman I've ever known.
		-- Walt Disney