bash on 6.1

Nikola Lecic nlecic at EUnet.yu
Tue Aug 14 17:15:08 PDT 2007

On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 15:27:03 -0700
Roman Budzianowski <roman.j at budzianowski.net> wrote:

> I tried to install bash a year ago and ran into a size mismatch
> (expected 1829, actual 5218). I am trying to install it again in a
> fresh 6.1 installation. I read an archived advice from this list and
> ran 'make clean' in /usr/ports.
>
> First, it ran for 18 hours! (on vmware VM, one processor of dual
> core pentium, 10k sata disk). What is this thing doing?

Hello Roman,

If you run 'make clean' in /usr/ports... :) You should run 'make'
commands in /usr/ports/aaa/bbb/ directories. As of bash, it has a few
dependencies and compiles pretty quicky.

But if I misunderstood what you actually did to trigger 18-hour
compilation, please provide a bit of buildlog, nobody can say what
happened without it.

> Anyway, after all this trouble I still get the same result. Below I
> am including the log. Could somebody help me install bash please?
> I don't know much about the ports. But I used Berkley 4.3 ;) (with 1
> Meg RAM, X Window included, guess what year).

The current bash version is 3.2, so why don't upgrade your ports tree
first ('portsnap fetch update')? 'make fetch' just passed without size
mismatches for me, whatever is the reason with the old port version.

Nikola Lečić