Porting a Python 2.5 dependent software.

Nikola Lecic nlecic at EUnet.yu
Sat Aug 11 07:39:26 PDT 2007

On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 20:55:23 +0530
wahjava.ml at gmail.com (Ashish Shukla आशीष शुक्ल) wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to port a package on FreeBSD. The package depends on Python
> v.2.5 (which is not default on FreeBSD 6.2-RELEASE), and some python
> modules. Now, the problem is that dependent python modules are already
> installed in Python v2.4 PYTHON_SITELIBDIR directory. So when I
> execute "install" target for my port, "install" target of python
> modules (dependencies) are also invoked, and since they're already
> installed (but in a different PYTHON_SITELIBDIR), I get following
> error:
>
> -- begin error --
> ===>  Installing for py25-numeric-24.2
> ===>   py25-numeric-24.2 depends on file: /usr/local/bin/python2.5 -
> found ===>   Generating temporary packing list
> ===>  Checking if math/py-numeric already installed
> ===>   An older version of math/py-numeric is already installed
> (py24-numeric-24.2) You may wish to ``make deinstall'' and install
> this port again by ``make reinstall'' to upgrade it properly.
>       If you really wish to overwrite the old port of math/py-numeric
>       without deleting it first, set the variable "FORCE_PKG_REGISTER"
>       in your environment or the "make install" command line.
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop in /usr/ports/math/py-numeric.
> -- end error --
>
> I've already set USE_PYTHON=2.5+ in my port's Makefile.
>
> Any ideas what should I do here ? Shall I wait for Python 2.5 to
> become default for FreeBSD.
>
> BtW, I'm trying to port Redhat Online Desktop[1] to FreeBSD.
>
> [1] http://developer.mugshot.org/wiki/Online_Desktop_Project

नमस्ते आशीष,

I know that this reply is a bit late, but the 20070730 entry of
current /usr/ports/UPDATING answers all your questions related to
parallel using of two Python versions.

Although I'm sure you've already noticed this yourself, I recollected
this unanswered mail.

(BTW, I think that freebsd-questions@ is a better list for questions
like this.)

As of Online Desktop, if you already have a working version ready for
testing, you might consider announcing on
freebsd-{gnome|x11|questions|ports}@.

Nikola Lečić