How did upgrading applications happen before portupgrade etc?

Rakhesh Sasidharan rakhesh at rakhesh.com
Sat Aug 11 01:04:15 PDT 2007

Hi,

Just a question that struck me today. Before there were the portupgrade
and other tools for upgrading installed applications to their newer
versions, how did things work out?

Did one upgrade applications through a series of "make deinstall
reinstall" commands (I wonder if these commands take care of dependencies
too) or was there any other way?

I happened to be reading up on how pkgsrc packages are upgraded. And it
seemed to be sooo complicated. (See this link for some info:
http://wiki.netbsd.se/How_to_upgrade_packages). The ports system never
appeared so complicated to me, which is when it struck to inquire how
things were before portupgrade and other wonderful third party tools came
into place ...

Thanks,
Rakhesh