for Thomas E. Zander, mplayer maintainer.

Kris Kennaway kris at obsecurity.org
Thu Aug 9 18:26:43 UTC 2007

On Thu, Aug 09, 2007 at 02:16:58PM -0400, Tuc at T-B-O-H.NET wrote:

> > > 	Kris, FWIW, I think when someone posts a request for help onto
> > > a list, gets back a dozen "Did you RTFM" either on list or offlist,
> > > replies back that they did (And shows they did), and then gets dead
> > > air.......... THAT harms the project.
> >
> > Uh, you seem to be axe grinding, but I told you to follow up with the
> > maintainer once I evaluated your report and didn't spot any obvious
> > problems.  Why wasn't that good enough for you?
> >
> 	If you mean axe grinding in the sense that over the years I've
> posted to freebsd-* for help with things pertaining to either a single
> piece of software, procedure I read somewhere, problem during an
> upgrade, etc... and either been blown off, told to re-read the docs
> that I've missed a crucial step (Which I stated that I did perform
> in my original email), or told to fix something ELSE that had nothing to
> do with it first... Then yea, I guess you can call it axe grinding.
>
> 	If your talking about the most recent interaction you/I had about
> portupgrade and +CONTENTS, thats a dead issue to me once others said
> they saw it too. (Yea, its annoying as all hell especially on a filesystem
> where every read/write is "precious", but I'll get over it, and if I
> can't, I will follow the sage advice to CTFPM). And hey, yea, it was
> f'n good enough for me, so thanks! (But again, you seem to be quite
> defensive that I'm supposedly "axe grinding" over it)

I was just surprised at this email that came out of the blue with
clearly with some kind of hidden meaning to it, and all I could think
was that you had some kind of problem with the only email interaction
you and I have had recently.

I'm sorry you had problems in the past, but this list isn't the place
for airing general grievances about FreeBSD.

Kris