Building Pine with PASSFILE option

Rakhesh Sasidharan rakhesh at rakhesh.com
Tue Aug 7 05:29:35 PDT 2007

Hi,

I understand one can compile the email client Pine with an option
PASSFILE=<some file name> to enable the option of saving your mail account
passwords. The Pine website talks about it and so do many sites all over
the net.

FreeBSD's ports do not seem to offer such an option. I went through the
Pine Makefile, however, and I see that the "EXTRA_OPTS" variable is what's
used to compile Pine with extra configurable options.

So my question is this: if I want to compile Pine from ports with this
PASSFILE option, can I do something like the following in
/usr/ports/mail/pine4?

# make EXTRA_OPTS+=PASSFILE=.pine.pwd install

I used the "+=" coz I got the got the impression that adds onto the
existing extra options. And if I want to make this permanent, can I define
it in /etc/make.conf accordingly?

.if ${.CURDIR:M*/mail/pine4}
EXTRA_OPTS+=	PASSFILE=.pine.pwd
.endif