ldconfig when PACKAGE_BUILDING=YES (and linux ports)

Kris Kennaway kris at obsecurity.org
Sat Aug 4 16:14:31 UTC 2007

On Sat, Aug 04, 2007 at 03:20:49PM +0400, Boris Samorodov wrote:
> On Fri, 3 Aug 2007 19:38:29 -0400 Kris Kennaway wrote:

> > > An FC6 port can't be build (and more specific -- linux-fc6 ldconfig
> > > doesn't run) with current default compat.linux.osrelease=2.4.2. So
> > > this sysctl should be changed to 2.6.16 for package building sake.
> > > When the default compat.linux.osrelease will be switched to 2.6.16 we
> > > will get the other way round problem if we try to build and FC4 port.
> > >
> > > I don't like the status quo and want to find a way to siplify it.
>
> > That's a kernel problem, not a ldconfig problem.
>
> Kris, now I don't follow. Can you explain what did you mean?

ldconfig is just a symptom.  If you make it so ldconfig doesn't run
then you'll just run into the next problem from another 2.6.x binary
being run.  The fix is to get 2.6.16 kernel support good enough so
that it can a) run 2.4 binaries in a backwards compatible mode (this
is required anyway, you need to be able to run both binaries on the
same system), b) be made default.

kris