xorg ports breaks fetch-recursive

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Wed Aug 1 15:36:29 UTC 2007

Following up on a previous discussion about ports refusing to fetch
because of issues unrelated to the fetch process.

I'm prepping a machine for the xorg 6 -> 7 upgrade, and hitting this
in ports/x11/xorg-libraries/Makefile:

.if !defined(XORG_UPGRADE) && !defined(PACKAGE_BUILDING) && exists(/usr/X11R6)
pre-everything::
        @if [ ! -L /usr/X11R6 ]; then \
            echo -n "/usr/X11R6 exists, but it is not a symlink. "; \
            echo "Installation cannot proceed."; \
            echo -n "This looks like an incompletely removed old version "; \
            echo -n "of X.  In the current version, /usr/X11R6 must be "; \
            echo -n "a symlink if it exists at all."; \
            echo -n "Please read ${PORTSDIR}/UPDATING (entry of 20070519) "; \
            echo -n "for the procedure to upgrade X.org related ports."; \
            /usr/bin/false; \
        fi
.elif !exists(/usr/X11R6) && !defined(WITHOUT_X11R6_SYMLINK)
pre-everything::
        ${LN} -s ${X11BASE} /usr/X11R6 || ${TRUE}
.endif

The problem is that this prevents me from doing "make fetch-recursive".
Can't use NO_IGNORE to get around this one.  Could that Makefile be patched
to use IGNORE= instead of the current echo?  (note, I just hacked my
local version of the Makefile for now, so my immediate problem is
solved -- I'm looking to suggest an improvement)

I was going to throw together a patch, but I realized I'm fuzzy on the
difference between .if and @if -- so if anyone wants to take a few
minutes to clarify those for me, I'd be happy :)

--
Bill Moran
http://www.potentialtech.com