Are we ready for Native Flash?

RW fbsd06 at mlists.homeunix.com
Wed Aug 1 12:46:35 UTC 2007

On Fri, 27 Jul 2007 13:45:43 -0700
Kris Moore <kris at pcbsd.com> wrote:

> Hey, just wanted to give folks a heads up. I'm hearing that we may be
> seeing a native Flash binary for FreeBSD in the future, depending on
> how quick we can port over Tamarin:
>
> http://www.mozilla.org/projects/tamarin/
>
> They are working on a Linux port now, if anybody is interested in
> getting a FBSD port done that will help us a TON in getting Adobe to
> release Flash9 in a native FreeBSD format. No more Linux-emulation
> just to surf the web!

How does that actually work? It reads as if ecma runs on its
own virtual machine. So presumably if Flash were developed to run on
this it would be platform independent, and there wouldn't be a need
for *any* native Flash versions.

If ecma is ready in 2008, is there a realistic possibility of Flash
working in the same year.