Building a mail application.. some advice appreciated

David Southwell david at vizion2000.net
Wed Apr 25 13:32:12 UTC 2007

Hi

I am looking for some general advice and guidance for selecting software
components to fulfill a proof of concept test.

I need a mail application with  features requiring that incoming mails, which
should comply with a predetermined format, be initially examined for
compliance with that format.

Each sender (read user) has to be uniquely identified in the database system
and a log kept of every mail received.

Sender verification requirements are high and, among other things, the output
from attachment processing must provide an input to the verification system.

Mails that pass verification requirements are to be initially processed by the
receiving server and the results of verification transferred to a mysql
database.

Subsequently data  has to be extracted from the email, processed and the
results stored in a mysql database. Processing includes the use of scripts to
generate email responses and other functions.

Attachments  have to be extracted and passed for processing and  results
stored  in a mysql db.

Mails that do not comply with the verification requirements need to be passed
to another server for logging and processing.

The system has to be scaleable.

I realise I have not given a lot of detailed information but here is the rub I
need to build, as quickly as possible, a proof of concept, using readily
available software components.

The OS is freebsd (currently 6.1) running postfix.

What components would you choose for this exercise? Be able to build quickly
and easily is the priority  for this stage and low server demand would not be
some important at this time.

Thanks in advance for any input you can give

David