parallel builds revisited

Kris Kennaway kris at obsecurity.org
Sat Apr 14 00:00:33 UTC 2007

On Thu, Apr 12, 2007 at 09:31:37PM +0200, [LoN]Kamikaze wrote:

> > Btw, do you think it's possible that a port can only be built with, n
> > parallel make jobs, but will fail with n+1?
>
> No. I do not think this can be the case.

It certainly is the case.  If a makefile has incorrectly specified
dependencies then it may build by accident for certain values of n.
There are also lots of ports with race conditions which means they may
sometimes build but not always.

For both of these reasons, once the infrastructure support is in
place, I don't want to see an indiscriminate rush to mark ports as
"make -j safe", because it will cause more problems than it solves.
It should only be done after careful testing by a port's maintainer
who promises to investigate and fix the race conditions that may be
exposed.

Kris