Using portsnap after sysinstall

Brooks Davis brooks at freebsd.org
Thu Apr 12 20:45:05 UTC 2007

On Thu, Apr 12, 2007 at 09:26:39PM +0100, RW wrote:
> On Thu, 12 Apr 2007 12:23:57 -0500
> Brooks Davis <brooks at freebsd.org> wrote:
> >
> > I really wish sysinstall would install a copy of ports created by
> > portsnap and provide an option to install the associated working
> > files. As things stand, I never install the ports collection from
> > sysinstall because it takes forever and I just end up deleting it.
>
> IMO the current behaviour is actually very sensible. The ports tree on
> the disk is from a period of time when maintainers were holding-off
> doing anything radical, and just fixing bugs - it's the closest thing
> we have to a ports release. It's also the same snapshot that was used
> to create the binary packages, which minimizes dependency problems if
> you need to mix ports and packages.
>
> If your aim is to get a reliable system up quickly and easily, running
> portsnap can be the wrong thing to do.

I've apparently been unclear about what I'm suggesting.  You are correct
that actually running portsnap as part of sysinstall would be
unexpected.  That is not what I'm suggesting.

What I am suggesting is that the ports tarball on the release CD be
replaced with two new ones containing a tarball of the ports tree as
created by "make release" running "portsnap fetch && portsnap extract"
and a tarball of /var/db/portsnap.  This would result in a system where
the admin could choose to use the ports as shipped or could immediatly
type "portsnap fetch && portsnap update" to get the latest version
without having to do the giant initial download.

Actually, a better idea would be to ship only a custom copy of
/var/db/portsnap corresponding to the tagged ports tree and create the
ports tree from it in sysinstall.

-- Brooks