Mailman setup

Jeffrey Goldberg jeffrey at goldmark.org
Thu Apr 12 19:11:52 UTC 2007

On Apr 12, 2007, at 11:56 AM, David Southwell wrote:

> I am trying to setup mailman and am using apache22 with a number of
> virtual
> servers. All the virtual server roots are located on a seperate
> physical
> drives with the path to the root
> being /usr2/virtualwebs/my_virtual_server_name/
>
> After  installed from /usr/ports/mail/mailman I find I have the
> mailman  files
> in /usr/local/mailman.
>
> I am puzzled about what files are meant to be placed in the path of
> the server
> root..(presumably my_virtual_server_name/mailman). I have looked at
> docs but
> if there is info on this I have failed to find it.  Should I have
> compiled
> with prefix=/usr2/virtualwebs/my_virtual_server_name/ or should
> this be in
> some config file?

The short answer is apache's Alias and ScriptAlias directives.

Here's a bit of mine

  ScriptAlias /mailman "/usr/local/mailman/cgi-bin"
  Alias /pipermail "/usr/local/mailman/archives/public"
  Alias /icons "/usr/local/mailman/icons"

Take a look at

  /usr/local/share/doc/mailman/FreeBSD-post-install-notes

That tell you the kind of thing that you need to do to configure
apache to find these things.  It will also point you to other mailman
installation material in that directory.

Below is a larger excerpt from my /usr/local/etc/apache22/extras/
httpd-vhosts.conf

## lists.shepard-families.org
<VirtualHost *:80>
DocumentRoot /usr/local/www/apache22/data/lists.shepard-families.org/
ServerName lists.shepard-families.org
ServerAdmin webmaster at goldmark.org
AddDefaultCharset utf-8
ScriptAlias /mailman "/usr/local/mailman/cgi-bin"
Alias /pipermail "/usr/local/mailman/archives/public"
Alias /icons "/usr/local/mailman/icons"
CustomLog /var/log/apache2/lists.shepard-families.org-access_log
combined
<Directory /usr/local/mailman/cgi-bin/>
   AllowOverride None
   Options +ExecCGI -Includes
   Order allow,deny
   Allow from all
</Directory>
<Directory /usr/local/mailman/icons>
   order allow,deny
   allow from all
</Directory>
<Directory /usr/local/mailman/archives/>
   Options +FollowSymLinks
   order allow,deny
   allow from all
</Directory>

Ideally, it would be nice if the port deposited a sample
configuration file in /usr/local/etc/apache-VERSION/Includes

But I don't know how to do that with all of  the different apache
ports (which, I believe, differ in how they organize the
configuration files).

Good luck with this.  As you can see I'm running mailman and apache22
(and postfix) from ports and am very happy with it.

-j