ruby port version going backwards? epoch

Kris Kennaway kris at obsecurity.org
Thu Apr 5 14:04:08 UTC 2007

On Thu, Apr 05, 2007 at 09:31:42AM +0200, Matthias Andree wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I just saw this after portsnap fetch update when running pkg_version -IvL=:
>
> ruby-1.8.5.12,1                     >   succeeds index (index has 1.8.6)
>
> Please restore ruby's PORTEPOCH - and consider installing pre-commit check
> scripts on the CVS master server that refuse Makefile commits that make
> the version go backwards.

This was fixed, but note that pre-commit checks wouldn't have helped:
the change was made in one file (bsd.ruby.mk) but the effects felt in
others.  In order to catch it we'd have to iterate over the entire
ports tree, which would delay each commit by a few tens of minutes, or
a few hours depending on machine load :)

Kris