Switch to using rc.d for local packages is premature for RELENG_6

Maxim Sobolev sobomax at freebsd.org
Wed Apr 4 20:24:56 UTC 2007

Hi guys,

As part of testing how well some of our products work with latest
RELENG_6, I have make a new build and found that lot of important
services (for example PostgreSQL, Apache) doesn't start up (despite
having respective xxx_enable entries in /etc/rc.conf) when installed
>from the freshly updated ports tree onto a clean, freshly updated
RELENG_6 system. This is very bad, considering how close to release are
we and how much FreeBSD users rely on those services to work OOB.

I would expect them to be really pissed off when lot of important
services just don't work after upgrading their server from 6.0 to 6.1 or
after installing it from install cd. This is apparently caused by the
fact that lot of rc.d scripts in /usr/local/etc/rc.d are newstyle one
now (sufficiently newstyle to pass find_local_scripts_new check), but
few of them were actually tested to work correctly in fully rc.d
environment.

Therefore, I think that the RELENG_6 should be reverted to using old
stuff and it should be left for 7.x tree.

Regards,

Maxim