Ports tree infrastructure

[LoN]Kamikaze LoN_Kamikaze at gmx.de
Tue Apr 3 20:49:48 UTC 2007

Dan Casey wrote:

> What I'm setting up is a regular ports tree (/usr/ports) which is Not
> updated.  Then a second tree /usr/local/current-ports which is updated
> daily with portsnap.

Packages make this kind of messing unnecessary. Having an up to date ports tree doesn't force you to update your ports.

> This looks like it is going to be a pain to maintain this.  Are there
> any ports or scripts that pointy hat uses that could be helpful in my
> type of environment.   Are there any better solutions?

The best solution would most likely be to build packages with tinderbox. This way you can keep your package repository up to date and only actually update the running software when this is wanted. Portaudit looks to me like a must have for your needs.