Ports tree infrastructure

Tue Apr 3 18:51:04 UTC 2007

Quoting Pav Lucistnik <pav at FreeBSD.org> (Tue, 03 Apr 2007 19:04:25 +0200):

> Dan Casey píše v út 03. 04. 2007 v 11:42 -0400:
>
> > I am setting up a single server as a 'build box' for our freebsd
> > servers.  We want to build our own packages because
> > 1. we may need to compile certain ports with different flags then
> > freebsd chooses.
> > 2. We want to update ports only when needed.  Ie: Unless we need
> > something in a new version of a port, or unless there is a security
> > hole, we want to keep the old version.
>
> http://tinderbox.marcuscom.com/ ?
>
> > When I want to upgrade a port, I would copy it over from the current
> > ports tree.
>
> This will not work. You need to have a consistent ports tree. Just
> pulling a single new port and inserting it into old tree will not work.

Sounds a little bit harsh... I would say "It may or may not work. If it
doesn't work don't complain here." as this will work if it is done
right. But doing it right (handling the dependencies and the ports
infrastructure bits) requires time/man power/following the commits.

Bye,
Alexander.