FreeBSD and NetBSD's pkgsrc: A strategic synergy for awesomeness

Gary Kline kline at tao.thought.org
Sun Apr 1 22:23:26 UTC 2007

On Sun, Apr 01, 2007 at 04:18:10PM -0500, Paul Schmehl wrote:
> --On April 1, 2007 3:26:03 PM -0400 FreeBSD Ports Tree Management
> <portmanager at FreeBSD.org> wrote:
> >
> >For our employee committers and contractor port maintainers we regret to
> >inform you that due to redundancies many of you will be let go from
> >FreeBSD.  All port maintainer's contracts are immediately terminated.
> >If you refer to the organization's Porters Handbook you will note that
> >we have the right to terminate maintainer contracts at will.  For our
> >employee committers we will be restructuring in phases.  Those of you
> >with work obligations in the other repositories will retain your ports
> >tree responsibilities while training the pkgsrc workforce for their new
> >role maintaining their products on FreeBSD.  Once this phase is complete
> >your workload will be redirected towards your roles in the other
> >repositories.  Those of you with a ports commit bit only, we wish to put
> >this gently.  We are delivering a .pinkslip to your cubicles in the
> >Freefall office currently.  By the end of business tomorrow we expect
> >you to login and collect your belongings there and in our satellite
> >offices.  All cubicles will be scheduled for deletion after that.
> >Please be aware that members of the FreeBSD Security Team will be
> >monitoring your access to ensure that no organization property
> >accidentally goes home with you.
> >
> {{snicker}}
>
> Happy April Fools Day.

	Yo, and I's about ready to wrap my cold dead hands around my
	AK-47 and start hunting!  Good one, Paul, but NPR beat you
	to the joke bit wiith a story about 4 [legal] ring tones in
	NYC this ayem. ...Back to my integer tests I guess.

	cheers, y'all,

	gary

--
  Gary Kline  kline at thought.org   www.thought.org  Public Service Unix