Yet another INDEX builder.

Michel Talon talon at lpthe.jussieu.fr
Sat Sep 30 06:49:48 PDT 2006

Kris Kennaway  said:

> FYI, I'm not sure if the python version is parallelizable, but you do
> get a small benefit from using parallelized 'make index' builds (via
> INDEX_JOBS) on a typical SMP machine.

My script runs parallel makes, of the order of ten simultaneous makes.
You can see them, running top at the same time, but of course they are very
transient, since usually one make lasts of the order of 0.1 s on my machine.
Anyways, still on my machine i have gained of the order of 20% wall clock time
by doing that. And it is only an hyperthreaded P4 (running in SMP mode). This
is why i was curious to know the effect of this idea on a machine with real
SMP and perhaps disks supporting tagged queuing, which should allow better
throughput for these simultaneous makes. I had, perhaps naively, assumed that
with a good machine one can divide time by 2.

--

Michel TALON