CONFLICTS not working as expected

Roman Bogorodskiy novel at FreeBSD.org
Wed Sep 27 09:43:01 PDT 2006

  Fabian Keil wrote:

> While trying to create a port for Privoxy 3.0.5 beta
> I noticed that on my system CONFLICTS aren't working
> as expecting.
>
> The port is:
> http://www.fabiankeil.de/sourcecode/freebsd/privoxy-devel-3.0.5.shar
>
> Inside the Makefile I have the line:
> "CONFLICTS=	privoxy-[0-9]*"
> which is supposed to conflict with www/privoxy.

This line is OK.

> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/porters-handbook/conflicts..html
> says: "You can use shell globs like * and ? here. Packages names should be
> enumerated the same way they appear in /var/db/pkg."
>
> "echo /var/db/pkg/privoxy-[0-9]*" lists:
> /var/db/pkg/privoxy-3.0.3_5
> therefore I would expect a conflict here, however I don't
> get one.
>
> My system is FreeBSD 6.2-PRERELEASE, and I have the feeling
> that CONFLICTS aren't working at all, at least for the "conflicting"
> ports I tried:
>
> porttest# pkg_info | egrep -e '^(gnutls|tor-|privoxy)'
> gnutls-1.4.4        GNU Transport Layer Security library
> gnutls-devel-1.5.0  GNU Transport Layer Security library
> privoxy-3.0.3_5     Privoxy is a web proxy with advanced filtering capabilities
> privoxy-devel-3.0.5 A web proxy with advanced filtering capabilities
> tor-0.1.1.23        An anonymizing overlay network for TCP
> tor-devel-0.1.2.1   An anonymizing overlay network for TCP
>
> There is a PR about CONFLICTS being ignored if DESTDIR
> is set (http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=ports/102300),
> but it is supposed to be fixed and I'm not using DESTDIR anyway.

It's actually about that CONFLICTS does *not* work with default (not
set) DESTDIR. However, current DESTDIR implementation is going to be
replaced with the new one which would probably avoid this inconvenient
bug.

Anyway, I'd suggest you to keep the CONFLICTS line in your port.

> In make.conf I have DISTDIR, PACKAGES and PKGREPOSITORY set,
> but if I comment them out, the problem persists.
>
> Am I the only on seeing this?
> Can someone please comment on whether my CONFLICT line is correct?
>
> Fabian
> --
> http://www.fabiankeil.de/

Roman Bogorodskiy