probs on 6.2-prerelease

Michael Vince mv at thebeastie.org
Mon Sep 25 18:15:13 PDT 2006

Danny Braniss wrote:

>>Hey all,
>>
>>I don't know if this is pre 6.2 specific but I changed my /etc/tty for
>>device ttyd0 to 'on' from 'off' and when I rebooted the pc I couldn't
>>login via regular KVM console, just don't get a login.
>>The more alarming thing was that while it appeared everything was
>>booting up from the boot up messages on the screen, I couldn't remotely
>>log into the server in fact it appears the machine didn't bring up the
>>Ethernet device as I couldn't even ping it.
>>As soon as I switched the ttyd0 back to 'off' and rebooted it I could
>>ssh back into the server etc.
>>I have a regular kernel and 1 jail and samba on this machine.
>>
>>This might just be a ports thing but on another 6.2 server I setup a
>>jailed mail server with courier imap and I have noticed that it fails to
>>build the courier-imap port with FAM support.
>>I tried also installing the gamin FAM alternative which builds ok but I
>>get signal 11 when I try to login to the imap server.
>>
>>Does anyone else have these problems?
>>

>I've been having this for a very long time, if the serial port does
>not realy exist - i don't know the technical wording for this -,
>
>if the kernel detected the sio hardare, but it's not realy
>wired, then it the kernel will hang when getty will try to open it.
>
>danny

OK good then its not just me, yes I haven't checked if the serial port
is actually enabled in the bios, still I think its quite ordinary to
have a machine basically fully hang up just because theres no active
serial port. With no network or serial (unless you can enable/find it
hardware side) I had to boot from the Freebsd install cdrom in fix it
mode and mount the installed setup and revert the tty change.

Mike