Restarting services

Randy Pratt bsd-unix at earthlink.net
Mon Sep 25 06:24:58 PDT 2006

On Mon, 25 Sep 2006 10:35:15 +0200
Erwin Van de Velde <erwin.vandevelde at ua.ac.be> wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> Almost every port containing a service stops the service before updating but
> does not restart it afterwards. I was wondering how difficult it can be to
> restart the updated service after installing the files? In my opinion, it
> would be less error-prone than hoping for the administrator to remember
> restarting all updated services...
> While this depends on every port maintainer, a general guideline about this
> would help and encourage maintainers to do this.

I took a look at /usr/local/etc/pkgtools.conf and it may be possible
to do what you want from there.  I noticed pre-defined functions like:

  #  cmd_start_rc(origin_or_pkgname)
  #    Returns a command line string that starts the services of the
  #    given package, if any. (Yields "start" for each enabled rc
  #    script)

  #  cmd_restart_rc(origin_or_pkgname)
  #    Returns a command line string that restarts the services of the
  #    given package, if any. (Yields "stop", sleeps for 3 seconds, then
  #    yields "start" for each enabled rc script)

There is also a provision for running commands "AFTERINSTALL".

However, I have not used these so there may be some aspects of it
that I'm overlooking but its probably worth consideration.

Randy