Restarting services

Rene Ladan r.c.ladan at gmail.com
Mon Sep 25 02:14:54 PDT 2006

2006/9/25, Erwin Van de Velde <erwin.vandevelde at ua.ac.be>:
> Dear all,
>
> Almost every port containing a service stops the service before updating but
> does not restart it afterwards. I was wondering how difficult it can be to
> restart the updated service after installing the files? In my opinion, it
> would be less error-prone than hoping for the administrator to remember
> restarting all updated services...
> While this depends on every port maintainer, a general guideline about this
> would help and encourage maintainers to do this.

Sometimes the configuration changes, making it inadvisable to
automatically restart the service.  But automatic restarting should be
possible/desirable (IMO) if the configuration remains the same.

Regards,
Rene
--
GPG fingerprint = E738 5471 D185 7013 0EE0  4FC8 3C1D 6F83 12E1 84F6
(subkeys.pgp.net)

"It won't fit on the line."
		-- me, 2001