some languages are more equal that others ?

Kris Kennaway kris at obsecurity.org
Mon Sep 18 07:38:23 PDT 2006

On Mon, Sep 18, 2006 at 04:45:13PM +0400, Sergei Vyshenski wrote:
> Dear port experts,
>
> Being a maintainer of the port security/p5-openxpki,
> I have got a message from the robot of Mark Linimon, which
> marked my port "broken" because my pkg-plist has lines:
>
> @dirrmtry share/locale/de_DE/LC_MESSAGES
> @dirrmtry share/locale/de_DE
> @dirrmtry share/locale/en_GB/LC_MESSAGES
> @dirrmtry share/locale/en_GB
>
> Robot was not happy with my attempt to erase _empty_ directories
> related to en_GB language during deinstalling of the port :
>
> === Checking filesystem state
> list of files present before this port was installed but missing after it
> was deinstalled)
> ./usr/local/share/locale/en_GB missing
> ./usr/local/share/locale/en_GB/LC_MESSAGES missing
> build of /usr/ports/security/p5-openxpki ended at Fri Sep  8 01:31:16 UTC
> 2006
>
> But it was ok with the robot to erase directories related to de_DE language.
>
> Could you please let me know policy of FreeBSD about respecting different
> language settings.
> Shall I include @dirrmtry for all languages except of en_GB?
> What would happen if robot runs at a host with different set of
> locale-related empty directories?
> Does port maintenance toolkit has a mean to find out, which locale-related
> empty directories existed on the host before port installation begins?
>
> Also. Do you think it is a good idea to let a robot mark ports "broken"
> because of non technical issue, but rather because of poorly defined
> political issue?

The robot didn't do it, and this isn't a political issue.  The
language directories are not standardized, and there are hundreds of
them (often in multiple naming variants) across the entire ports tree,
but many are only used by one or two applications that the average
user is unlikely to have installed.  Therefore to avoid creating
hundreds of empty directories on every user's system, we attempt to
strike a balance by only creating the most commonly used ones by
default, and leaving the rest to be managed by the individual ports
that use them.

Others have explained why it's important to maintain a high and
uniform level of quality in ported applications.

Kris