FreeBSD Port: ipmi-kmod-20060418_1

J. Martin Petersen jmp.lists at alvorlig.dk
Thu Sep 14 04:28:55 PDT 2006

Nick Barkas wrote:

Thanks for your reply.

> I unfortunately do not have any Dell hardware to test with.

We have a "spare" machine (it is a hot-backup of a production machine) I
can test stuff on occasionally, if you got something specific.

> It looks
> like there have not been any significant changes to the IMPI code in
> - -CURRENT recently that might fix this, either. I do see a note in the
> "Fixes and Enhancements" section on the latest BIOS download page from
> Dell for the SC1425 that says "Added Native IPMI support," so they
> definitely did something.

I managed to dig out the output from a working and non-working BIOS/IPMI:

BIOS A02 (working):
ipmi0: <System Management BIOS> at iomem 0xfa840-0xfa85e,0xfa860-0xfb357
o n isa0
ipmi0: SMBIOS Version: 2.03, revision: 2.03
ipmi0: KCS mode found at io 0xca8 alignment 0x4 on isa
ipmi0: IPMI device rev. 0, firmware rev. 1.81, version 1.5
ipmi0: Number of channels 4
ipmi0: Attached watchdog

BIOS A03 (not working):
ipmi0: <System Management BIOS> at iomem 0xfa830-0xfa84e,0xfa850-0xfb356
o n isa0
ipmi0: SMBIOS Version: 2.03, revision: 2.03
ipmi0: KCS mode found at io 0xca8 alignment 0x4 on isa
ipmi0: couldn't configure smbios io res

I don't know if the IPMI-stuff actually moved or not in the BIOS, but
the memory ranges differ.

Martin