portmaster deletes failed ports

Hans Lambermont hans at lambermont.dyndns.org
Thu Sep 7 08:44:00 UTC 2006

Freddie Cash wrote:

> On Wed, September 6, 2006 1:19 am, Bill Blue wrote:
>>> I'm extremely reluctant to start trying to think for the user. Down
>>> that path lies madness.
>
> Good.  Programs should do what the user tells them to, not try and
> guess what the user might want and try to be overly helpful in doing
> strange and mysterious things.

We agree completely here.

> If the install fails, then error out with a nice message.  Let the
> user decide what to do after that.

Exactly. The interesting question now is 'what is a failed upgrade' ? To
me that is the system as it was in the state before the upgrade attempt.
To you it is the system left as-is exactly where the upgrade process
failed.

Both approaches are useful, but the first one doesn't exist yet in
portmaster.

regards,
   Hans Lambermont