portmaster deletes failed ports

Bob Willcox bob at immure.com
Wed Sep 6 15:29:45 UTC 2006

On Tue, Sep 05, 2006 at 10:09:58AM -0700, Doug Barton wrote:
> Hans Lambermont wrote:
> > RW wrote:

> >> I don't use portmaster myself, but I just took a look at the script and,
> >> unless I'm missing something, it does appear that this feature is missing
> >> from portmaster. There an option to create backup packages, but nothing to
> >> automatically restore the previous version if the install fails.
> >
> > I can confirm this. The auto-restore-backup would be a nice feature.
> > Doug ?  ;-)
>
> I'm extremely reluctant to start trying to think for the user. Down that
> path lies madness.
>
> It's easy enough to 'echo BACKUP=yes >> ~/.portmasterrc' (or
> /etc/portmaster.rc) and then do the restore yourself if it's a port that you
> consider mission critical. If you're going to add that to the rc file, I
> suggest you also do 'mkdir -p /usr/ports/packages/All' and that way you'll
> always know where your backups are.

I admit that this missing feature is why I went back to portupgrade. I
liked the simplicity of portmaster over portupgrade, but having it fail
on an install and leave the port missing (and dying) was sufficiently
annoying to cause me to revert to portupgrade.

I'm not suggesting that you should implement it though. Maybe pointing
out in the man page that if the install of a port fails you will need to
reinstall the old version manually would be helpful.

Bob

--
Bob Willcox                       Possessions increase to fill the space
bob at immure.com                    available for their storage.