portmaster deletes failed ports

Doug Barton dougb at FreeBSD.org
Tue Sep 5 17:10:03 UTC 2006

Hans Lambermont wrote:
> RW wrote:

>> I don't use portmaster myself, but I just took a look at the script and,
>> unless I'm missing something, it does appear that this feature is missing
>> from portmaster. There an option to create backup packages, but nothing to
>> automatically restore the previous version if the install fails.
>
> I can confirm this. The auto-restore-backup would be a nice feature.
> Doug ?  ;-)

I'm extremely reluctant to start trying to think for the user. Down that
path lies madness.

It's easy enough to 'echo BACKUP=yes >> ~/.portmasterrc' (or
/etc/portmaster.rc) and then do the restore yourself if it's a port that you
consider mission critical. If you're going to add that to the rc file, I
suggest you also do 'mkdir -p /usr/ports/packages/All' and that way you'll
always know where your backups are.

hth,

Doug