gnu-automake and libtool.m4

Stanislav Sedov ssedov at mbsd.msk.ru
Mon Sep 4 21:20:08 UTC 2006

On Mon, 04 Sep 2006 21:45:18 +0300
Andriy Gapon <avg at icyb.net.ua> mentioned:

> I have a problem using automake/autoconf under /usr/local/gnu-autotools
> with a certain software project (not a port) and it seems that there is
> a problem with expanding AC_PROG_LIBTOOL macro in configure.ac.
>
> I have very limited experience with gnu autotools, but I think that
> libtool.m4 needs to be found for that macro to be understood.
> I have one libtool.m4 in /usr/local/share/aclocal/ and there is no
> libtool.m4 in /usr/local/gnu-autotools/share/aclocal-1.9.
> Is that the problem ?

Yes, you should provide "-I usr/local/share/aclocal" argument to
aclocal.

For autoreconf you can do this by defining env. ACLOCAL variable.

/usr/local/gnu-autotools/share/aclocal-1.9 is used only to store
stock .m4 files for autoconf/automake, while /usr/local/share/aclocal
contains all .m4 file external apps installs, e.g. xmms, pkgconfig, guile
and, of course, libtool.

--
Stanislav Sedov         MBSD labs, Inc.         <ssedov at mbsd.msk.ru>
Россия, Москва         http://mbsd.msk.ru

If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts.  -- A. Einstein
PGP fingerprint:  F21E D6CC 5626 9609 6CE2  A385 2BF5 5993 EB26 9581